Easy Ways to Promote Ringing at Your Tower
- Display a notice with ringing times and contact details in the church porch or outside notice board. Download one from cccbr.org.uk/pr/publicity or design your own.
- Keep a stock of ringing flyers with your tower contact details on for giving to non-ringers and putting out in church. Download one from the Flyers section below and customise it with your tower’s details and ringing times or contact PRO@derbyda.org.uk.
- Encourage wedding couples to see what they are paying for after they book the bells for their wedding by inviting them to your practice: explain about ringing and give them a backstroke taster lesson and a flyer. Perhaps arrange it so they can pay the bell fee at the same time.
- Put a display inside your church about ringing locally: your bells, your ringers and your ringing achievements. Make use of open ground-floor ringing chambers and tower doors as display areas. Put some flyers nearby.
- Use a colourful display about ringing when you open the tower for visitors or to use when you give a presentation. Download the pages you require from the Displays section below.
- Send a photograph and short article about your ringing for a special event to local newspapers and magazines. If your article is people-focused and cheerful it is likely to get published.
- Contact your local radio station about your forthcoming event or ringing achievement to get a mention on the radio.
- Use the Bell Ringing Derbyshire Facebook page to promote your ringing and share it with your friends.
- Ensure that your church website has a bell ringing section with links to and from this website (derbyda.org.uk).
- For further ideas and advice explore cccbr.org.uk/pr/advice or email PRO@derbyda.org.uk.
Download and customise flyers for your tower or event:
- Download this PDF onto your computer: Bell Ringing Flyer.
- Open the PDF, click in the Contacts section and type in your contact details (plus other information e.g. ringing times, website, Facebook page, etc) (maximum 2 lines of text).
- Print on A4 on both sides of paper (flip on the short edge) to create 2 A5 flyers per sheet.
Here are clear and colourful displays about ringing.
Please feel free to download as much as you would like to use.
- About bells and bell ringing
- How bells are rung
- Benefits of bell ringing
- A typical bell tower – cutaway
- Your perfect hobby? Lists the benefits of bell ringing, describing it as the perfect hobby – and a comprehensive list it is too. May be used as a display poster or additional flyer.
Produced by Sue Hall: Sue is happy for anything to be used providing her name is kept on the copy.
Acknowledgement: Some images used in this material have been sourced from the internet.